The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking an Investigator I, for the Research and Investigations department. The main responsibility of this position is to Investigate and expose animal exploitation, abuse, and conduct (primarily undercover) field investigations that are national in scope.
This position will be responsible for:
- Conducting undercover investigations as assigned;
- Documenting acts of cruelty, neglect, and exploitation of animals by means of still and video photography;
- Reviewing and understanding directives concerning state and federal laws relevant to the assignment. Carry out directives and seek clarification if needed;
- Preparing, providing, and submitting daily log notes, videos, and progress reports, when deployed on assignment or investigation;
- Properly maintaining all undercover equipment and troubleshooting problems with the equipment;
- Maintaining a leadership role on assigned projects and work in partnership with the Senior Director or assigned researcher;
- Immediately reporting to Senior Director any communication received post-investigation from the employer being investigated.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- High School diploma or equivalent required;
- Must have ability to travel extensively and for extended periods of time for the purpose of job seeking and for conducting investigations;
- Ability to move or lift up to 50 pounds;
- Must have and be able to maintain excellent driving record and be able to perform basic vehicle maintenance;
- Must be resourceful and have strong research, writing and verbal skills along with ability to make investigative calls when necessary;
- Knowledge of or experience with animal handling desired;
- nowledge and understanding of a second language is helpful;
- Must be able to appropriately represent the organization during off-hours, when undercover and while on the field.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at the highest level.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is a remote position and can be based from a home office anywhere in the Continental US as extensive travel within the US will be required.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
Back to Employment Opportunities