The Humane Society of The United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking a Legal Assistant / Paralegal for the Office of the General Counsel (OGC) and the Animal Protection Litigation (APL) department. This position provides primary legal administrative support by performing varied duties that require a high degree of attention to detail, judgment and confidentiality.
This position will be responsible for:
- Conducting basic research in support of current litigation and other legal projects;
- Drafting simple agreements and similar documents (e.g., grant agreements; policies; simple contracts) for attorney review;
- Providing initial review of staff-prepared drafts of agreement or third-party proposed agreements to highlight areas requiring attorney review;
- Managing legal compliance for the organization and its affiliates, including but not limited to handling state registration renewals, and overseeing registered agent filings;
- Providing legal administrative support, including but not limited to creating presentations, copy editing and quality control, and cite checking;
- Managing litigation holds;
- Assembling documents for litigation, presentation to government agencies, other attorneys’ offices, etc.;
- Maintaining legal publications and subscriptions, including accurately filing updates to the in-house law library and related tasks;
- Maintaining legal filing systems and manage off-site storage;
- Performing a variety of administrative duties including, but not limited to, answering phones; opening, sorting, and distributing mail and email; scheduling and setting up meetings; managing attorney billing files and preparing and submitting attorney bills and vendor invoices for payment; preparing documents, reports and presentations; ordering and maintaining supplies; compiling and updating standard operating procedure manuals; performing data entry; and receiving and managing visitors to the department.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
- Minimum two years of experience supporting litigation and transactional matters, either in a law firm or as part of an in-house legal department;
- Paralegal certification desired;
- Ability to work independently, accurately process multiple assignments from multiple staff, frequently under the pressure of immediate deadlines and changing priorities;
- Strong research and writing skills;
- Knowledge of Lexis or Westlaw required;
- Strong communication skills, including an ability to effectively interact with executives inside and outside the organization, to use discretion, and to maintain confidentiality;
- Excellent organizational and detail-management skills;
- Excellent computer skills and a strong attention to detail;
- Strong record management and document-production skills;
- Interest in animal protection preferred.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Washington, DC.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
Back to Employment Opportunities