The Humane Society of the United States, the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking a Manager, Banking & Insurance for the Accounting department. This position is responsible for managing Banking activities and the administration of global bank accounts, including but not limited to reconciliation of bank transactions to insure accurate financial records as well as managing roles and access to banking information. Also responsible for Insurance functions of the Humane Society of the United States and its affiliates, including the insurance renewal process, claims management, and compliance with insurance requirements.
This position will be responsible for:
- Managing the banking and merchant account relationships of the organization;
- Managing bank account access, banking security roles, signature authority listing, monthly standing transfer order, and monthly PayPal account drawdowns;
- Reviewing and posting monthly journal entries and monthly reconciliations prepared by Staff Accountant;
- Assisting in the monthly bank reconciliation process as needed;
- Reconciling salaries, taxes, and benefit liability accounts;
- Acting as the main point of contact for the annual Insurance renewal process, which includes gathering data, coordinating the meetings, and processing paperwork;
- Acting as the 401k administrator;
- Recording monthly transactions and downloading bi-weekly 401K account changes for the payroll team;
- Managing 401K employer match process for bi-weekly payroll and annual match funding per the plan documents as well as managing the annual 401k audit and 5500 process;
- Assisting the Director of Managerial Accounting in the proper recording and tracking of expenses for the health and dental plans;
- Assisting the Payroll team with journal entries for the Humane Society International UK monthly payroll as well as bi-weekly hourly pay and bi-monthly salary pay journal entry for our Project Chimps;
- Downloading, reconciling, and recording the monthly FSA/DCA and COBRA journal entries;
- Managing and developing a team of employees; this includes but is not limited to managing employee workload, ensuring deadlines are met, completing performance reviews and encouraging employee growth and development.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business administration, or related field, or equivalent work experience required;
- Minimum of five years accounting experience with an emphasis on compliance, reporting and reconciliations along with some level of management experience required;
- Minimum of two years of managing staff required;
- CPA a plus;
- Non-Profit experience a plus;
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the computerized accounting software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of staff management practices and processes, the ability to establish accountabilities and expectations, and the ability to manage performance to achieve results;
- Highest levels of integrity and ethics together with outstanding personal credibility required;
- Must be able to maintain complete confidentiality of all payroll related information;
- Demonstrated critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as the ability to handle complex situations and solve problems with sound judgment;
- Strong organizational, planning, and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple and often changing priorities and issues of varying complexity, while meeting time sensitive deadlines and deliverables;
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member in a team environment;
- Technical proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook);
- Interest in animal protection issues desired.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Gaithersburg, MD.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
Back to Employment Opportunities