The Humane Society of the United States, the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking a Public Relations Manager for the Public Relations department. This position is responsible for proactively and positively positioning The HSUS in the print and broadcast media, and managing PR staff in a way that sets them up for success in doing the same. This position is charged with increasing coverage of HSUS and our issues in domestic outlets and managing staff who serve that same function in a way that sets them up for success.
This position will be responsible for:
- Managing and delegating incoming projects via the organization’s project management system;
- Helping the senior director manage, train and coordinate members of the PR department to ensure they have the resources and knowledge they need to exceed or meet departmental goals;
- Assisting with administrative duties such as hiring, collecting data and developing work flow processes, setting departmental goals as well as providing strategic communication counsel to other departments in the organization;
- Helping to provide media relations services and coordinating assistance for other channels in the Marketing/Communications team on the site of deployments and fundraising events;
- Building relationships with reporters to include in-person meetings, either one-on-one or bringing a subject expert to the meeting;
- Drafting, editing and distributing press releases, letters to the editor, op-eds, and other materials for the media;
- Pitching HSUS issues and generating story ideas for media;
- Researching media to determine trends for pitching issues as needed;
- Managing media training and providing continued coaching to staff in their roles as spokespersons;
- Working with Senior Director to determine promotional techniques and strategy for individual issues;
- Working with the Public Affairs Advisor to address misinformation about our organization in the media and reputation management as it relates to mass media;
- Working with Public Relations Specialists to develop public relations strategies and tactics;
- Setting goals and objectives for the Public Relations department and ensuring the department is achieving these goals;
- Responding to media inquiries with a high level of knowledge of animal protection issues as well as setting up interviews with appropriate spokespeople and providing background information and materials as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, journalism or English, or equivalent work experience required;
- Minimum of five years’ professional experience in a public relations agency, or the press office of a non-profit organization, government agency or Congressional office preferred;
- Supervisory experience desired;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and foster a spirit of cooperation and teamwork;
- Demonstrated ability to perceive the needs of subordinates and respond accordingly in order to support a positive work environment and to remain calm in high pressure situations;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required;
- Knowledge of public relations software products is preferred;
- Demonstrated knowledge of public relations competencies required; Accreditation in public relations is desired;
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of staff management practices and processes and the ability to establish accountabilities and expectations and manage performance to achieve results;
- Critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as the ability to handle complex situations and demonstrate sound judgment and problem-solving;
- Propensity to be creative, proactive, and self-motivated in the execution and completion of assigned accountabilities;
- Organizational, project, and priority management skills for planning, executing and following up on issues, projects and daily responsibilities in order to meet established deadlines;
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Gaithersburg, MD.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
Back to Employment Opportunities