The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking a Payroll Accountant for the Accounting department. The main responsibility of the role is to process payroll and applicable taxes accurately and timely.
This position will be responsible for:
- Preparing and processing bi-weekly payroll for all employees; liaising with Human Resources and Accounting management and payroll vendor on relevant issues and monitoring payroll changes, tax and reporting changes;
- Acting as a point of contact for all local, state and federal tax authorities, as well as performing necessary research on payroll compliance issues and obtaining resolution;
- Responsible for general ledger entries for HSUS and its affiliates, running payroll reports for in-house clients and updating summary worksheets for payroll deductions;
- Preparing monthly reconciliations, setting up new hires, managing associated paperwork and providing orientation for new hires regarding payroll and timekeeping, and assisting staff with ad-hoc reports;
- Reviewing all tax filings including monthly payroll tax deposits; quarterly 941 filings for Federal Income Tax, Social Security, and Medicare, along with the annual 941 filings and W-3 and W-2 preparation by payroll vendor;
- Preparing work papers and providing all supporting documents for annual financial statement audits, benefit plan audits and worker’s compensation audits.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting field preferred or equivalent experience;
- A minimum of five years of recent payroll processing experience required; experience in a non-profit is highly desirable;
- Proficiency with Ceridian Dayforce HCM preferred; ADP or other large payroll processing software required;
- Strong knowledge of payroll-related accounting practices required;
- Must possess general knowledge of Federal, State and local county tax laws as they pertain to payroll;
- Intermediate to advanced-level knowledge of Microsoft Excel required;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, along with strong interpersonal skills;
- Must be able to maintain complete confidentiality of all payroll-related information;
- Must be able to maintain strong attention to detail and maintain complete and accurate records of all payroll related information.
- Must have flexibility and ability to work extended hours as needed
Please submit a cover letter and résumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Gaithersburg, MD.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
Back to Employment Opportunities