The Humane Society of The United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization is seeking a Public Relations Assistant for the Public Relations (PR) department. The main responsibility of this position is to be a resource for journalists and arrange media interviews with subject experts, offer letters to the editor and op-ed pieces on a broad range of animal issues. This position is also responsible for increasing coverage of HSUS and its issues, and assisting others within the department to do the same.
This position will be responsible for:
- Providing support to Public Relations Specialists in preparing media documents, including routing documents to staff members throughout the organization to compile input and edits in an organized and timely manner;
- Drafting and editing press releases, advisories, and letters to the editor, pitch letters and other collateral material for the news media;
- Receiving inquiries from news media and members of the public and identifying the best person to respond and scheduling interviews with HSUS spokespeople;
- Developing targeted media lists with relevant reporters, media outlets and opportunities to position animal protection issues;
- Coordinating various elements of public relations projects and staying up to date with rapidly developing campaigns and assisting the Public Relations team;
- Assisting with distributing press releases and assisting reporters in accessing downloadable photos, videos and other assets;
- Assisting with the HSUS News Twitter account by generating content, driving engagement with reporters and using it for research.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, mass communications, or English or equivalent work experience required;
- Minimum one year of public relations or administrative experience preferred;
- Strong written, oral communication and organizational skills; must also have attention to detail and ability to keep track of a number of projects simultaneously;
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel) and Internet use required.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Gaithersburg, MD.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
Back to Employment Opportunities