The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking a Public Relations Associate for the Public Relations department. The main responsibility of this position is to be a resource for journalists and reporters and focus on servicing the Farm Animal Protection department with a focus on its meat reduction work.
This position will be responsible for
- Identifying and managing public relations opportunities to pitch issues to reporters and attend events while applying a strong knowledge of farm animal issues and how they can be placed in the media for maximum impact;
- Routing communication pieces related to meat reduction and incorporating feedback in a timely manner;
- Proactively developing and executing public relations strategies and tactics to elevate the profile of the organization’s meat reduction efforts;
- Monitoring press coverage and cultivating and maintaining key media contacts; representing the organization at events to initiate and develop rapport;
- Writing and editing press releases, advisories, letters to the editors, op-eds, pitch letters and other collateral material for the news media in support of the Farm Animal Protection efforts;
- Developing targeted lists that offer media opportunities to position Farm Animal Protection issues and disseminating press releases and other materials to targeted contacts;
- Fielding media inquiries and doing research on inquiring reporters and routing to appropriate spokesperson to best position the organization in the news; will also be responsible for supplying reporters with background information, video, and scheduling interviews with HSUS spokespeople.
- Representing the department to external audiences and coordinating efforts with other departments and organizations;
- Posting press releases to the HSUS website.
- Bachelor’s degree in media or public relations, journalism, or mass communications;
- Minimum of five or more years of experience in a public or media relations environment;
- Must have familiarity with the current media landscape as it relates to food issues;
- Strong working knowledge of media directories and public relations computer programs and processes;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to build and foster relationships;
- Must be willing and able to travel occasionally for media cultivation and pitching in major markets as well as to attend press conferences or related events;
- A commitment to animal protection/welfare is strongly desired.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Gaithersburg, MD or from a home office in San Francisco, CA.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
Back to Employment Opportunities