The Humane Society of The United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking a Senior Maintenance Technician for our Duchess Sanctuary in Oakland Oregon. This position is responsible to maintain, manage and upgrade all aspects of the maintenance department. Provide overall proper maintenance to vehicles, tractors, heavy equipment and all internal roads, as well as completing repairs and upgrades to equipment, buildings and site infrastructure.
This position will be responsible for:
- Overseeing and maintaining the following areas to ensure that they are completed properly, on time and at or under budget; vehicle maintenance, enclosure and fencing construction, plumbing and electrical systems, building maintenance, and equipment maintenance;
- Scheduling and performing routine upkeep of all equipment and vehicles as well as making recommendations on new equipment options and ensuring that all equipment is in good working order;
- Managing assigned tasks and maintaining logs on all in-progress and completed maintenance;
- Assisting in design and construction of new facilities, animal environments and renovations;
- Recommending, planning, and implementing construction and enclosure projects as well as overseeing the work of contractors and consultants as requested;
- Overseeing and training staff, volunteers and interns on proper safety operating procedures of equipment and tools;
- Inspecting projects for completeness;
- Overseeing the work of contractors, interns and volunteers;
- Implementing, developing and/or revising standard operating procedures or other reports as well as conducting or coordinating safety training;
- Maintaining federally mandated documents to include but not limited to: SDS logs and OSHA;
- Testing, repairing, or replacing all emergency equipment and supplies on a routine schedule;
- Assisting with landscaping as needed on any pasture issues;
- Sharing the responsibility of overnight on-site supervision in the absence of the Director of Operations;
- Responding to a major disaster as outlined in the current Emergency Preparedness Protocol.
- Interacting with the public in person during animal intakes, donation drop-offs, tours, volunteer days, fundraisers, and any other public events;
- Assisting animal care team as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent required;
- Minimum of five years of contracting, welding, and construction experience;
- Supervisory experience preferred;
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- Valid Driver’s License and clean driving record required;
- Commitment to the goals and programs of the HSUS, and to compassionate, highest-quality animal care;
- Must be able to work on an unsupervised environment;
- Must be able to operate heavy equipment (i.e. skid steer, backhoe and tractors) and lift/move up to 50 pounds;
- Must be able to work outdoors in variable and sometimes extreme weather conditions;
- Must be able to work with/around a variety of animals;
- Must be able to perform occasional long workdays (up to 12 hours) and maintain focus, accuracy and physical activities required by job;
- Must be able to negotiate trails and moderately dense undergrowth during rescue operations;
- Must be able to adhere to all policies and procedures that enforce a safe work environment.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Oakland, OR.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
Back to Employment Opportunities