The Humane Society Legislative Fund, (HSLF) formed in 2004 as a separate lobbying affiliate of The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is seeking a Senior Regulatory Specialist. The main responsibility of this position is to encourage the development of regulations and persuade agency officials to enforce regulations that support the protection of animals at federal government agencies.
This position will be responsible for:
- Helping to lead the organization’s federal agency efforts to improve and enforce federal regulations by numerous federal agencies;
- Implementing strategies for advancing the organization’s regulatory agenda and acting as liaison between HSLF/HSUS staff and officials at federal agencies;
- Providing guidance to team members on the most strategic areas to focus the organization’s resources;
- Persuading and influencing high-level agency officials to propose regulations and enforce laws that support the protection of animals;
- Providing guidance to HSLF legislative staff on priority initiatives during the federal budget process;
- Providing assistance on federal legislative work where needed;
- Drafting comments/letters to the agencies and overseeing resources in support of agency efforts (action alerts, blogs, work with coalition partners);
- Reviewing press releases and other media materials.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Law Degree is required;
- Minimum of five years of experience working with federal agencies to develop and enforce regulations;
- Understanding of the regulatory process and case law impacting federal regulations and policies is essential;
- Knowledge of the laws implemented by the federal agencies affecting animals is required;
- Ability to understand and interpret complex scientific data;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills with demonstrated flexibility and the ability to manage multiple and often changing priorities and issues of varying complexity, while meeting time sensitive deadlines and deliverables;
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Washington, DC.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
Back to Employment Opportunitie