The Humane Society of the United States, the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking a Senior Vice President for its Marketing Department. This position is responsible for the planning, budgeting, staffing, implementation and evaluation of the marketing departments for the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and its affiliate, Humane Society International (HSI). Executing multiple high impact initiatives to achieve overall marketing targets for the organization.
This position will be responsible for:
- Developing a strategy to drive sustainable financial results and operational performance of multiple marketing initiatives, to include direct mail and telemarketing, digital marketing (HSUS and HSI), Face2Face, and DRTV and Acquisition;
- Leading efforts for short- and long-term organization initiatives;
- Approving decisions that have impact on marketing, in accordance with the strategic, policy and fiduciary guidelines established by the organization;
- Influencing and/or engaging a network of relationships in support of the overall effectiveness of the department's operations and achievement of organizational goals;
- Making budget decisions for the program with full accountability;
- Championing philosophical norms and culture across the program;
- Resolving complex problems for the program and implementing solutions that entail organizational cross-functional coordination;
- Developing leadership and career development of staff to identify potential successors and leading and supervising staff in the development of long- and short-term marketing strategies;
- Identifying financial and human resources needed to implement marketing strategies as well as developing job descriptions and funding proposals around those needs;
- Monitoring progress of departmental initiatives, working with staff to overcome obstacles and revising strategies, as needed;
- Assuring the development of vehicles and tools for capturing, evaluating, and reporting data, feedback, and other relevant information related to the department’s activities, plans and effectiveness;
- Communicating and presenting information/recommendations to management, the Board, other internal staff, and stakeholders;
- Advising staff, consultants, and related teams on all aspects of their work including communications with internal and external stakeholders;
- Creating opportunities for staff and consultants to connect directly with each other, share expertise, and build community;
- Ensuring compliance with organizational policies and procedures;
- Coordinating and collaborating with other departments to maximize impact and likelihood of success;
- Keeping abreast of trends relevant to the department’s operations and strategies and integrating appropriate measures to implement changes/innovations to address these in the department’s overall strategy;
- Providing reports to the Board of Directors and if needed serving on selected Board of Directors initiatives.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or equivalent work experience required; advanced degree in related field strongly preferred.
- Minimum of twelve years of progressive experience in marketing required. Experience in a nonprofit environment highly desirable;
- Minimum of six years of management experience required;
- Extensive knowledge of the processes, tools, and techniques for exploring and exploiting potential areas of business growth;
- Extensive knowledge of options and opportunities to advertise/market the organization’s mission, programs, and reputation to the public and constituents;
- Extensive knowledge of and the ability to effectively utilize member profiles and information to market the organization’s mission, programs and initiatives to increase fundraising opportunities;
- Superior leadership skills with demonstrated knowledge and understanding of staff management practices and processes and the ability to establish accountabilities and expectations and manage performance to achieve results;
- Superior communication skills with the ability to translate information into a meaningful, understandable context and message, regardless of the format (e.g., documents, public speaking situations, presentations, etc.);
- Knowledge of business operations, including budget development and management processes, as well as the ability to translate strategic thinking into action plans and related outcomes;
- A high level of confidence, integrity, interpersonal skills, and a professional executive presence for effectively interacting with and influencing others, internal and external to HSI, as well as for facilitating meetings and conducting public speaking/presentations;
- Demonstrated fundraising experience and successes, as well as the ability to meet with and represent the HSI farm program with existing and potential supporters;
- Demonstrated critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as the ability to handle complex situations and demonstrate sound judgment and problem-solving;
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple and often changing priorities and issues of varying complexity, while meeting time-sensitive deadlines and deliverables;
- Demonstrated propensity to be creative, collaborative, proactive, and self-motivated in the execution and completion of assigned accountabilities;
- Strong business acumen, negotiation and mediation skills, as well as a demonstrated attention to detail and a focus on achieving quality outcomes;
- Building and fostering relationships;
- Demonstrated leadership in the areas of diversity and inclusion, including success creating and fostering diverse, inclusive, safe and supportive work environments;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, high-energy, demanding and deadline driven environment;
- Technical proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (i.e., WORD, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook);
- The ability to work long hours should a crisis situation arise.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is in Gaithersburg, MD.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identify, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status.
Back to Employment Opportunities