Make your kids’ summer vacation count with these fun craft projects! Whether you design snazzy décor to deter birds from flying into your windows or make toys for the neighborhood pets, we’d love to see what you create. Share your photos with us!
Projects for pets
Keep pets of all stripes entertained and mentally stimulated with these easy-to-make toys.
- Fill the toe of a child-sized sock with crumpled paper or polyester fiberfill.
- Sprinkle in a little catnip, tie a knot in the ankle and share with a kitty.
- Put a treat or a few pieces of dry food in the bottom of a shallow plastic container.
- Add ping-pong balls, leaving enough room for your cat to move them around as she tries to find the treat.
- Cut the top and bottom off a cardboard juice carton.
- Stretch plastic wrap tightly over one end and secure it with an elastic band, making sure it’s watertight.
- When visiting a pond, lake or other body of water, put the plastic-wrapped end underwater and look through the other end to see what’s beneath the surface.
- Choose a spot that’s cool and shady with a sunny area nearby. Loosen the soil.
- Tip a 10–12” flowerpot on its side and bury it halfway in the soil.
- Fill the buried half with soft soil, adding a layer of moss, leaves or small twigs on top.
- Place a small saucer of water just outside the pot and remember to refill it!