We fight the big fights to end suffering for all animals. Together with millions of supporters, we take on puppy mills, factory farms, trophy hunts, animal testing and other cruel industries. With our affiliates, we rescue and care for thousands of animals every year through our animal rescue team’s work and other hands-on animal care services. We fight all forms of animal cruelty to achieve the vision behind our name: A humane society. And we can’t do it without you.
We work to:
- Provide direct care, rescue and services for animals in crisis.
- Pass local, state and federal laws to protect animals.
- Make sure existing laws are properly enforced.
- Help the biggest corporations reform their animal welfare policies.
- Shape public opinion on animal cruelty through our awareness campaigns and investigations.
- The world’s greatest roster of scientists and other experts in animal welfare.
- State directors across the country working at the local level.
- Five affiliated animal sanctuaries and medical centers.
- Programs that provide veterinary care and other animal services to inner cities, and a veterinary affiliate that provides these services to Native American reservations.
- Wildlife sanctuaries in more than 35 states.
- A global affiliate, Humane Society International, which runs programs in more than 20 countries.
We take a mainstream approach and combat the most severe forms of cruelty and abuse. Leaders in the humane movement ranked us the most effective animal organization in the country in a survey conducted by Guidestar’s Philanthropedia.