May 20, 2010
Italian Sausage Rigatoni
with balsamic onions & cherry tomatoes
A hearty Italian sausage with rigatoni pasta, tossed with caramelized balsamic onions, sweet cherry tomatoes, and kalamata olives and garnished with fresh parsley.
4 sliced Field Roast Italian sausages
1 lb uncooked rigatoni pasta
1 thin sliced sweet yellow onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 pint halved cherry tomatoes
1 cup pitted and halved kalamata olives
½ cup olive oil
½ cup balsamic vinegar
Few sprigs fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook pasta as directed on the package, adding salt when water comes to a boil.
2. Using a cast iron skillet or a nonstick skillet, heat half of the olive oil on medium high heat. Add sliced onions and cook until they begin to turn golden.
3. Add garlic and balsamic vinegar, and allow to reduce for five to 10 minutes.
4. Remove onions and add remaining oil to pan.
5. Add sausage and brown on both sides.
6. Add onion mixture back into the pan, stirring until well coated.
7. Turn off heat and add remaining ingredients. Toss with pasta and serve.