Why should you donate cryptocurrency?

Donating cryptocurrency is a non-taxable event, meaning you do not owe capital gains tax on the appreciated amount and can deduct your donation from your taxes to the fullest extent permitted by law.

This means donating Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies can mean a larger donation and a higher tax deduction. Talk to a tax professional familiar with cryptocurrency for more information.*

Frequently Asked Questions 

Can I remain anonymous?  

When giving cryptocurrency to the Humane Society of the United States, donors can choose to provide their full information or donate using the “donate anonymously” option. If choosing to remain anonymous, donors can still receive a receipt from The Giving Block for their cryptocurrency donations by providing The Giving Block with their email address; however, anonymous donors will not be thanked personally by the Humane Society of the United States. We would love to be able to thank you personally for your gift!  

Which cryptocurrencies do you accept? 

We accept donations of Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH) and other supported cryptocurrencies through our donation portal powered by The Giving Block. For a complete list of all supported cryptocurrencies, please visit The Giving Block’s website

Will I get a receipt with my donation? 

Yes. When using our donation portal with The Giving Block, you will be prompted to enter and submit your email address to receive a tax receipt. Tax receipts will be emailed directly from The Giving Block. 

What is the refund policy? 

All cryptocurrency donations are non-refundable. Always check the accuracy and authenticity of any address to which you send cryptocurrency.  

I have more questions. Can I get in touch? 

If you have a question about donating cryptocurrency, please visit The Giving Block’s FAQs. If you have questions about donating to the Humane Society of the United States, please contact our Donor Care team


*The Humane Society of the United States does not provide legal, tax or financial advice. Please consult your financial or tax advisor.