The Humane Society of the United States employs passionate animal lovers dedicated to furthering our mission to fight all forms of animal cruelty to achieve the vision behind our name.
About our internship program
Develop professional skills and learn about the animal protection field through hands-on work, educational experiences and mentorship with some of the world’s top animal welfare experts.
We offer a wide range of internships, such as clerking in our Animal Protection Law department, providing care to sanctuary animals at our world-renowned Black Beauty Ranch in Texas, learning about legislative and regulatory processes, honing campaign skills, sharpening media relations techniques and even learning hands-on techniques and skills for assisting wildlife in peril. Plus, many of our internships are remote, so you can work for us without having to relocate!
Don't see something you want? Be sure to check back regularly, as different internship opportunities may become available throughout the year.
As an intern, you’ll have many opportunities to learn and grow professionally. You can:
- Meet leaders and network with staff across our family of organizations to help deepen your understanding of animal protection issues and the challenges and rewards of this work.
- Attend and participate in a variety of staff presentations and meetings, including a compassion fatigue workshop to help you stay resilient and productive in the animal protection field for the long term.
- Learn insider information about the recruitment process and have a career development discussion with a member of our human resources team.
- Take advantage of complimentary attendance at Animal Care Expo, the largest international educational conference and trade show in the animal welfare field, as well as Taking Action for Animals, a leading national conference in animal advocacy.
- Meet and socialize virtually with other interns across our family of organizations.
Learn some of the reasons our recent interns recommend working here!
Wildlife protection intern, Spring 2022
"There are great opportunities for career development for interns, including trainings and meetings with other departments. Very uplifting and supportive work environment!"
Media relations intern, 2021-22
"Such a great experience! Not only did I learn how to effectively communicate with reporters across multiple media channels, but it also helped build my confidence."
Law clerk, Spring 2022
"Working with the Animal Protection Litigation team allowed me to merge my legal education with animal advocacy in such a valuable way! I'm grateful to have worked alongside APL’s dedicated attorneys and to have received thoughtful guidance from my attorney mentor."
Join us full-time
At the Humane Society of the United States, we are animal caregivers and plant-based chefs, technology specialists and maintenance technicians, scientists and veterinarians, communications strategists and accountants, graphic designers and project managers and more, fighting for all animals. Browse our employment opportunities!
The Humane Society of the United States, and its family of organizations, embraces volunteers as essential partners in our lifesaving work. We engage volunteers in supporting staff at every level to amplify our efforts to create a more humane society. We welcome and respect our volunteers' unique identities, diverse backgrounds and experiences to build an inclusive animal welfare movement. We believe everyone can help fight for all animals!
Looking for a position in animal care, control or sheltering? Want to post an employment ad for an opening at your animal care, control or sheltering organization?