The Humane Society of the United States employs passionate animal lovers dedicated to furthering our mission to fight all forms of animal cruelty to achieve the vision behind our name.
Founded in 1954, the Humane Society of the United States is the nation’s most effective animal protection organization. Together with millions of supporters, our deep roster of world-class animal and industry experts take on the fur trade, puppy mills, factory farms, cosmetics animal testing, wildlife killing, cruelty and neglect, pet homelessness and more.
We’re animal caregivers and plant-based chefs, technology specialists and maintenance technicians, scientists and veterinarians, communications strategists and accountants, graphic designers and project managers and more, fighting for all animals.
Our organizational culture
It’s only through human efforts that we can achieve our vision of a humane society for all animals. Through organization-wide surveys and employee advisory committees, our staff members collaborate with senior leadership on culture improvements. We hold ourselves accountable for those improvements through regular, anonymous staff surveys that measure global benchmarks of healthy organizational cultures.
Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
Our robust and ongoing diversity, equity and inclusion efforts reflect our belief that recognizing how animal cruelty and exploitation intersects with other deeply rooted societal injustices makes us better advocates for animals. A work environment that fosters inclusion and collaboration energizes our teams, drives better thinking and makes our impact for animals more sustainable. Our DEI committee and DEI leadership team apply this lens to our programs, policies and hiring and promoting practices.
We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We welcome qualified applicants of any age, race, national origin, religion or belief, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetics, family or parental status, disability or veteran status.
Our benefits and perks
We empower our employees to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- Physical health: Health insurance, dental and vision plans; life and disability benefits; health and dependent care flexible spending accounts; health savings account.
- Company wellness program: Earn rewards by completing wellness activities and participating in challenges.
- Mental health: Free access to Talkspace, an online therapy platform; Employee Assistance Program; mental health and mindfulness webinars.
- Financial health: Competitive, equitable salaries; traditional and Roth 401(k) plans with employer match; life insurance, AD&D insurance; WMATA SmartBenefits program for DC employees.
- Paid time off: PTO starting at four weeks; holidays (plus floating holidays) and bereavement; voluntary leave donation program.
- Pet-friendly: Paid pet bereavement and Pawternity leave (paid time off after adopting a pet); Pets in the Workplace program.
- Work from home: Telework and remote work opportunities.
- Personal and professional development: Variety of professional training opportunities; tuition reimbursement.
- Family-friendly: Family expansion leave; extended family medical leave.
Learn some of the reasons why people love working here!
Senior director, Philanthropy
"The HSUS’s healthy work-life balance is very important to me as the mother of two young kids."
Senior graphic designer, Brand and Visuals
"Everyone is supportive, professional and so dedicated to the work we do to help animals. I’m just so proud of everything I do here."
Senior director, production, Marketing Operations
"I like that my role interacts across multiple communication channels with colleagues who care deeply about animal welfare issues."
Program assistant, Companion Animals
"Helping to pass Prop 12 in California in 2017 and seeing it pass was a really proud moment; proud of myself for helping make a difference, but proud to be part of such a successful team and organization."
Director, Human Resources Business Partners
"I like that my role supports employees in the organization—who, in turn, work very hard to drive positive change for animals around the world.”
Senior caregiver, Black Beauty Ranch
"Every day brings a new adventure that keeps me on my toes. It’s our privilege to be able to give these animals a second chance ... a life as close to the wild as we can give."
Hone your skills and learn how to fight for all animals by becoming an intern at the Humane Society of the United States. Browse our current list of internship opportunities and if you don’t see the right opportunity for you, be sure to check back periodically for new listings.
There are more than 60 unique ways to volunteer with the Humane Society of the United States—from helping out at our care centers and serving with our rescue team to organizing events and grassroots outreach in your community and more. We have opportunities all around the country, so you don't even have to leave your home to have an impact.
Looking for a position in animal care, control or sheltering? Want to post an employment ad for an opening at your animal care, control or sheltering organization?