Do you want to help create a more humane society for all animals? Check out our Humane Policy Volunteer Leader opportunity!
Humane Policy Volunteer Leaders are at the forefront of our work to advance priority federal, state and local animal protection policies. These efforts serve to advance humane priorities across all 435 congressional districts and thousands of state legislative districts across the nation. Please join our team!
- Work closely with your state director to serve as an ambassador for the HSUS by communicating our mission, approach and policies in order to foster a stronger and more visible animal protection presence in your community.
- Participate in HSUS-facilitated webinars or meetings. If possible, participate in and assist with your state’s Humane Lobby Day and/or local grassroots events.
- Develop and implement a local animal protection project, preferably working with your city council or county board of supervisors to advance an HSUS priority ordinance or resolution in your community.
- Encourage your networks to take action on HSUS alerts and priority policies. Recruit HSUS allies to continue expanding the diversity of our audiences, volunteers and the organization, and make the animal protection movement more inclusive for all.
- Humane Policy Volunteer Leaders commit to taking actions as directed by HSUS program staff and their state director, averaging one to three hours per week for one year (weekly time may vary). Ongoing participation after the first year is preferred.
The volunteer position description includes detailed information about the requirements and restrictions of this position. We encourage you to read it thoroughly to determine if this opportunity is the right fit for you before applying.
I’m proud to be associated with such a strong and impressive group to channel my animal protection passion! Always a pleasure.
Beverlee Loat, Arizona
I like the ability to take action with a large group to amplify my voice. I feel like I'm making a difference for a lot of animals.
Valerie Howell, Florida
- After reviewing your application, a staff member will invite you to complete a user-friendly, digital interview. If we mutually determine that this opportunity is a good fit, you will be offered the volunteer position and asked to sign a volunteer agreement and waiver/release of liability.
If you would like to learn more or have questions about this volunteer program, please email us or call 301-721-6405.
What to do if this volunteer position is not the right fit
If this is not the role for you, we encourage you to get involved with animal protection issues in your state through our ally program. Allies are contacted periodically to take quick action as time and energy allow. If you are interested in becoming an ally, please fill out this short ally form. You can also look for additional volunteer opportunities or check out how you can help in other ways.
I would have spent years wishing I could make a difference and not knowing how. These days, I’m given tools all the time and all I have to do is use them. Total game changer!
Dana Connors, California