Our Animal Rescue Team, with the support of our shelter and rescue partners, removed nearly 4,000 beagles during the summer of 2022 from a mass breeding facility that received multiple Animal Welfare Act violations for issues such as inadequate veterinary care and insufficient food. Many of these dogs were bound for animal testing laboratories across the country.
On July 21, 2022, our Animal Rescue Team started transporting the beagles to shelter and rescue partners across the country. By Sept. 1, all 3,776 were on their way to loving homes!
Sept. 2: The last beagle of thousands spared from testing arrived at our care and rehabilitation center. We're elated that, with the help of more than 120 shelter and rescue partners, we have accomplished this massive feat!
Aug. 30: The last of the nearly 4,000 beagles are scheduled to be removed from the Envigo mass breeding facility this week.
Aug. 25: We have removed close to 3,000 beagles from Envigo so far, a heartwarming representation of the thousands of new beginnings unfolding for these dogs.
Aug. 9: Halfway there! More than 2,000 beagles are now on their way to better lives all across the country.
Aug. 6: Another 226 beagles were removed from the Envigo laboratory breeding facility for a total of 1,124 removed to date. We're excited for the progress and thankful to our shelter partners, who are helping to make this a effort a success.
July 27: A second set of beagles has been removed from the laboratory breeding facility in Virginia and transported by our shelter partners. This brings the total to more than 900 dogs removed from Envigo's facility.
July 22: More than 400 beagles have been removed from the laboratory breeding facility in Virginia. Transfers begin in an effort to find homes for approximately 4,000 beagles spared from animal experimentation.
July 18: Finding partners who can make space and find homes for around 4,000 dogs in the summer—a time of year when animal shelters are already over-capacity—will be a feat of epic proportions.
July 13: We're busy coordinating the transport of these dogs. We'll update the list of partners throughout the next two months and encourage you to check this page often. Please note that while some dogs may travel to the West Coast, the majority will be placed with East Coast and Midwest partners.
This extraordinary operation would not have been possible without the support of our shelter and rescue partners all over the country. We're so grateful to everyone who helped us achieve this.
If you're interested in adopting, fostering or donating to a local shelter or rescue in your area that assisted with the placement of these dogs, please contact the individual organizations below for more information. If you were unable to adopt one of the approximately 4,000 beagles, we encourage you to consider adopting one of the many other pets waiting for a loving home at your local shelter or rescue group.
California | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Indiana | Kansas | Kentucky | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Missouri | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | North Carolina | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | Tennessee | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | Wisconsin | Wyoming
List last updated 9/6/2022.
- All for One Pet Rescue
- Brevard Humane Society
- Humane Society of Broward County
- Humane Society of Marion County
- Humane Society of the Nature Coast
- Humane Society of Sarasota County
- Humane Society of Tampa Bay
- Humane Society of Vero Beach & Indian River County
- Nassau Humane Society
- Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando
- Tri County Animal Rescue
- Animal Rescue League of Boston
- Baypath Humane Society
- Dakin Humane Society
- Massachusetts SPCA
- Northeast Animal Shelter
- Northeast Coonhound Rescue
- Second Chance Animal Services
- Capital Area Humane Society
- Harbor Humane Society
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Humane Society of Midland County
- Humane Society of West Michigan
- Citizens for Humane Action, Inc.
- Cleveland Animal Protective League
- Columbus Humane
- Humane Society for Greater Dayton
- Humane Society of Warren County
- Licking County Humane Society
- SPCA of Cincinnati
- Toledo Humane Society
- Wood County Humane Society
- Adams County SPCA
- Animal Care Sanctuary
- Animal Friends
- The ANNA Shelter
- Beaver County Humane Society
- Butler County Humane Society
- Heart of Glass Animal Rescue
- Humane Animal Rescue of Pittsburgh
- Washington Area Humane Society
- Animal Welfare League of Alexandria
- Animal Welfare League of Arlington
- Angels of Assisi
- Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA
- Fairfax County Animal Shelter
- Fredericksburg Regional SPCA
- Green Dogs Unleashed
- Home Fur Hounds
- Homeward Trails
- Lost Dog & Cat Rescue Foundation
- Loudoun County Animal Services
- Lucky Dog Animal Rescue
- Lynchburg Humane Society
- Peninsula SPCA
- Powhatan County Animal Care & Control
- Richmond Animal Care & Control
- Richmond SPCA
- Virginia Beach SPCA