November 5, 2012
Resources for Michiganders
Contact information at your fingertips
Report stray or injured animals/animal cruelty
- Call your your local animal care and control agency if you have found a stray or injured animal.
- Contact your local law enforcement agency or call 911 to report a case of animal cruelty.
- Michigan Humane Society cruelty hotline: 313-872-3401 (Mon.-Sat., 8-5) for the Detroit, Hamtramck, and Highland Park areas
- Contact your local animal shelter if you've lost or found an animal, or are interested in adopting an animal.
- Directory of licensed animal shelters compiled by the Mich. Dept. of Agriculture
- Michigan animal welfare/pet adoption groups listed by Petfinder
- Michigan Humane Society: Detroit-area resources on adoption, animal cruelty investigations, veterinary care, and pet behavior
- File a complaint about a veterinary practice with the Michigan Bureau of Health Professionals.
- Animal poison hotline: 800-213-6680 (available 24/7)
- Find an emergency vet near you.
- Look up an affordable spay/neuter clinic in your zip code.
- Michigan Humane Society's listing of low-cost spay/neuter clinics
- C-SNIP: 616-455-8220 (low-cost spay/neuter for western Mich.)
- All About Animals: 586-435-6930 (low-cost spay/neuter and vet services for eastern Mich.)
- Love That Cat’s listing of low-cost spay/neuter clinics
Michigan Legislature and Laws
- Look up your state senator or representative
- Michigan Legislature: search for bills and Mich. Compiled Laws, link to Mich. House and Senate)
- The Animal Legal Lifeline: 866-211-6257
This operates as a way for potential clients to obtain legal advice from State Bar of Michigan Animal Law Section members. Potential clients, who have a legal issue involving animals, are able to call the toll-free number listed above and briefly describe their case.
Wildlife rehabilitation and wildlife agencies
- Find a wildlife rehabilitator in Michigan.
- Michigan wildlife laws and legislation
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources Hunting and Trapping regulations
- Michigan DNR Law Enforcement RAP (Report All Poachers) Hotline: 800-292-7800
Local animal welfare agencies
- Michigan Department of Agriculture (info on licensing and laws on CAFOs, animal shelters, and pet-breeding facilities): 800-292-3939
- Michigan Partnership for Animal Welfare (listing of events, pet care resources, and a directory of animal shelters, rescues, wildlife rehab groups, and veterinarians)
- Michigan Association of Animal Control Officers (MAACO)
- Michigan State Animal Response Team (SART)—responds to animals in natural disasters and emergencies